Friday, April 25, 2008

The Story


Last week I took delivery of a 1958 Wooden Lightning, hull number 6997. Double planked cedar hull skin with Mahogany keel and interior. Traditional painted canvas deck.

The major issues with the boat will be worked out in the next year. Deck separation from hull near the port bow but not to the stem. The stem is chewed up from docking abuse. The canvas will need to be pulled off and replaced. I am contemplating removing the plywood deck and replacing it with cedar planking, but the plywood is not in bad shape. I am looking for a nice wooden mast and do not wish to bastardize her by going with an aluminum rig. The more I get her dissected the better idea I will have of her racing capabilities, otherwise she will be a very nice day sailer.

I will be working on the boat in my spare time. After this winter I realized that I needed a challenging project to keep myself busy. I have yet to start taking her apart and will begin this odyssey tomorrow.

The picture below captures the allure of this machine. Taken at White Rock Lake in 1955.

2 comments:

Chicago Yacht Rigging said...

Congrats on the new boat! Lightnings are pretty boats by design, but the wood ones are something special.

For the deck, have you considered plywood with a nice veneer? It could be done to give you a similar appearance to cedar planks, but would be far easier to make/find/buy.

Seeing your boat really makes me want to dig out #9010. Maybe we could have a classic Lightning fleet?

Unknown said...

Time it will definitely take. I've spent my summer working about 30 hours a week restoring 1942 lightning #897. I wanted to ask about traditional rigging. I'm not sure how the rigging might have changed over the years and what the proper setup is. I would like to keep it true to the era. If you have any resources or advice fire back. Good luck. Have fun sanding =)