Monday, November 3, 2008

Paint Removal Part 1

Lemme see. The boat is 50 years old and has seen it's fair share of good days and bad days. It seems that the previous owner(s) opted to cover-up the bad days with layers of paint, six different colors to be exact.


I decided to go against my original chemical judgment and decided to try out the Jasco. I bought a gallon and applied it to the sides of the boat. I really like the product, you need to be very careful with it. I did my best not to touch it but when I did it chewed up my gloves. I need to invest in some really good rubber gloves if I use this stuff again.

It took about an hour for it to kick. I was able to remove 4 layers of paint with just a scraper. From what I can see, there are only 2 or 3 layers of paint left on the sides. I should be able to knock this down using 40 and 80 grit. The tough spots will come off with paint thinner.

I was very impressed with how well the Jasco handles old varnish. I applied a couple of layers to the transom and in about 30 minutes I was able to wipe it clean. Very nice. I am not trying to do a rush job on the boat, but this is just smarter than wearing out my arms for no good reason. Here are some before and after shots of the transom.

I will be back at it again next weekend. I am really enjoying the project and each time I am down there I am seeing progress.

Jill and I have been very busy. We recently welcomed a new addition to the family. A 5 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback / Mastiff mix named Lucy. She is great and she will soon become a fixture during boat work days. Jill and I are also competing in frostbite sailing at Chicago Yacht Club. Yesterday was a fun day on the water even though we busted our jib sheet.

Here is a picture I took of Lucy a week ago at the harbor.

2 comments:

Arthur Kinley said...

It looks great! I'm following you as I have recently come into possession of #5722 in a rough state. I've been concentrating on removing remaining varnish from interior floor planks and centerboard trunk and the layers of new varnish to interior, mast and deck. Then I will turn attention to bottom ... removing centerboard, caulking and bottom paint. I sail on the "Tappan Zee" (Hudson River is 4 miles wide here at Tarrytown)

Drunken Master said...

Hey, it's been over a year, have you made any progress?